Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Brotherly Love

Brother Peep was tasked with toasting Mr.Peep and I at our engagement party. First off, my brother is a writer; second, he and his wife have been together for about 12 years and married for over six years, and they now have two of the most ridiculously cute kids ever, and third, he's one of the best guys out there, and possibly the best Dad EVER.

So to me, his advice is worth taking. Here's his toast to us, word for word:

Okay, so I'll admit it, I don't know the secret to the perfect marriage. I don't know if such a thing exists. Because I think if marriage was perfect, it wouldn't be. I won't waste your time philosophizing about the key to a successful marriage. For each couple that answer is their own. What I will offer are 10 bits of wisdom I have gleaned from my time as a husband and a Dad. That's right, 10, because that's what the marketing department came up with.

1. Never waste an opportunity to say I love you, never forget to ask. "What can I do to help?"

2. Take time to walk on the beach together, it's good for the soul. Conversation is always better with the sand between your toes.

3. Getting out of the house will always be frantic in the morning. It'll only get crazier. Don't leave without a hug and a kiss. The world will wait the five seconds. Same is true when going to bed. Always kiss goodnight. Even when you're so exhausted you can barely lift your head.

4. The days are long, but the years are short. Appreciate what you have today, it goes by fast.

5. Listen but be heard. Enough said.

6. Go on date nights together. Remember why you fell head over-heels in love with each other in the first place. Besides one of you won't have to do dishes.

7. Touch, a lot. Back scratches, shoulder rubs and massages are always welcome.

8. The time you spend together is more important than how much money you make apart.

9. As a general rule of thumb, a bottle of wine at sunset is one of life's true pleasures. Don't complicate it talking about work. Talk about something important.

10. You're a family now, find love, peace, confidence, respect and everything that makes the human spirit shine within that relationship. What you give is what you get.

So, please join me as I raise a glass to Miss Peep and Mr. Peep
with the words of Dylan:

May God bless and keep you always.
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young.

Congratulations, you two, we love you.

People laughed...


People cried...


And Mr. Peep and I were so humbled by the experience. I could barely keep it together:

My Brother really made the entire night so special and memorable.


So here's a toast to Brother Peep. Did someone special to you give you a toast that knocked your socks off??

No comments: